Skip links

Flood Disaster Relief

Flood Disaster Relief

The Team at Pure is working hard to help you through this ongoing flood and storm crisis. With many of you severely impacted and tradesmen also affected it’s important to appreciate that it may take some time for things to return to normal. While we endeavour to take care of all of our clients with the highest priority, it’s also important that we arm you with the most immediate support available. In this case, it may be a Government Disaster Recovery Payment. Please see the rules below. I have also included links where applicable.

Of further note, we will also be sending out a Note on insurance in the next few days. This is a complex area and there are many nuances that may be important to how your insurance company or your landlord’s insurance treats any potential claim.

But first things first: Support for eligible people adversely affected by the Floods. I have included information for QLD and NSW below:

South East Queensland Floods, February 2022
Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment

You have until 27 August 2022 to make a claim for the following Local Government Areas (LGAs):

  • Brisbane
  • Fraser Coast
  • Gold Coast
  • Gympie
  • Ipswich
  • Lockyer Valley
  • Logan
  • Moreton Bay
  • Noosa
  • North Burnett
  • Redland
  • Scenic Rim
  • Somerset
  • South Burnett
  • Southern Downs
  • Sunshine Coast
  • Toowoomba


What is it?

A lump sum payment to help you following the South East Queensland floods in February 2022. The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment can help if you’ve been significantly affected by a disaster. It’s a lump sum payment to help you if you’re in a Local Government Area that’s been declared for a disaster.

It’s not for minor damage or inconvenience. You can choose to get this payment in 2 instalments.


Who can get it?

You must meet eligibility rules to get the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment. To get it, you must meet all of the following:

  • you’re an Australian residentor hold an eligible visa
  • you meet Local Government Area (LGA) rules
  • you’re claiming this payment for the South East QLD Floods, February 2022 for the first time.

You must have been seriously affected by the storms and floods. For example:

  • you were seriously injured
  • you’re the immediate family member of an Australian citizen or resident who died or is missing
  • the flood caused major damageto your home.

If you’re part of a couple, you can both claim this payment. You and your partner will need to make separate claims. You can’t claim on behalf of a person who has died, or their estate.


Major Damage

Examples of major damage to your principal place of residence can include:

  • it’s been destroyed or must be demolished
  • it’s been declared structurally unsound
  • this disaster has caused major damage to the interior
  • this disaster has exposed the interior to the elements
  • sewage has gotten inside your home
  • this disaster has significantly damaged a major asset or assets you own at your property.


Major Asset

A major asset is an asset or assets with a combined market value of $20,000 or more. For example, this can include buildings, vehicles, caravans, water tanks or large scale machinery.


How much can you get?

The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment is a lump sum payment.

If you’re eligible you’ll get:

  • $1,000 per adult
  • $400 for each child younger than 16.


How to claim

There are 3 steps to claim the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment.

  1. Get ready to claim
    1. Australian residents must claim online.
    2. To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink.
    3. f you don’t have a myGov account, you’ll need to set it up online.
    4. If your myGov account isn’t linked to Centrelink, you can prove who you arethrough myGov to link Centrelink.
  1. Link Centrelink to your myGov account
    1. If you’ve claimed a payment before, you can use your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN)to link Centrelink to myGov.
    2. If you haven’t claimed a payment before, you’ll need to prove your identity onlineusing myGov.
  1. Follow these steps to make your claim:
    1. Sign in to myGov and select Centrelinkin your linked services.
    2. Select Make a claim or view claim status.
    3. Select Make a claim.
    4. Scroll to Help in an emergency and select Get started.
    5. Select Apply for Disaster Recovery Payment.
    6. Select Begin.
    7. Answer the eligibility and claim questions.
    8. Submit your claim.


NSW Disaster Relief Grants for Individuals



 If your home or essential household contents were damaged or destroyed by a natural disaster, you may be eligible for the Disaster Relief Grant for individuals.

The financial assistance is provided to help people to recover from the effects of a disaster and re-establish a basic standard of living. It is not provided to replace insurance or compensate for losses.



You may be eligible for financial support if the following apply:

  • your home (primary place of residence) was damaged by a natural disaster
  • you do not have insurance for the damage
  • you are a low income earner with limited financial resources
  • it has been less than 4 months since the disaster.

You may not be eligible if any of the following apply:

  • lack of maintenance has caused or impacted the damage, such as poor roof maintenance
  • the damage is cosmetic and not essential to living in a safe and habitable home.


The application process

  1. Phone 13 77 88 and ask about the Disaster Relief Grant administered by Resilience NSW.
  2. They will send you an application form and fact sheet.
  3. Gather the extra information and document you will need to provide.
  4. Submit your application with the extra information and documents you have gathered. Your application can be made up to four months after the disaster.
  5. They will let you know when they receive your application, give you a case number and advise if you need to supply any other documents.
  6. They will check your application and talk to the agencies you have named on your behalf. By signing and submitting your application you are giving them permission to do so.
  7. They will arrange to visit your home and inspect the damage before making a final assessment of your application.
  8. They will write to you to tell you the outcome of your application.


Join the Discussion

Return to top of page

Subscribe to our newsletter

Receive the latest Commercial Property Management news.
You can unsubscribe at anytime.